theplantifulchef

Plant Based Recipes

Tuesday 16 May 2017

Creamy Coconut Rice Pudding Jars


Rice pudding for breakfast i hear you say? such a thing is not that uncommon in nordic countries where is it sometimes served for dinner as well as breakfast. As a lot of you know I'm currently transferring all my recipes from my old site and re doing the photography, I thought it would be the perfect time to revamp this one and make it a versatile breakfast with a mixed berry chia "jam" in-between just to get those amazing omega 3s in first thing on a morning as well. Fun fact in Norway rice pudding is called riskrem and is sometimes served with a red sauce made of strawberries and raspberries, so you could say this is a breakfast version of that. 

Im already a big lover of vita coconut oil and use is religiously in my skincare and on my hair which has helped with various issues. I was excited to try the new coconut milk they had brought out, it took a little tracking down in a supermarket. When I finally got my hands on some i couldn't help but pour myself a big glass. Its not like other dairy free milks I've tried and does not have that fake sweet taste as it contains no artificial sweeteners. Its just like you have cracked open a fresh coconut and made your own milk. 


On to what you will need, feel free to use whatever frozen berries/fruit you have to hand its also very delicious with pineapple and mango. The rice can also be changed up, brown rice also works if your wanting a wholegrain. This makes enough for around 3 good size jars, theres only 2 pictured on here as one may have been "lost" in taste testing... oops chefs perks and all. 

what you will need;
1/2 cup rice i used risotto 
1 cup water 
1 and 1/2 cup vita coconut milk 
1 teaspoon vanilla 
1tbs coconut cream 
1tsp vita coconut oil
2tbs maple syrup 
fresh berries to serve (optional but delicious!)

for the jam;
1/2 cup heaped mixed frozen berries 
2 teaspoons chia seeds

Get the rice cooking first, take a non stick pan and gently heat your rice to add to that wonderful nutty flavour. Add in your water and milk, maple and vanilla. Bring to a rolling simmer, cover and cook for 15-20 minutes on medium heat until the rice is tender. While this is cooking get a start on your jam, place the berries in a mug and in the microwave on full powder for around 2 minutes. So the berries have defrosted and some of them have turned to mush. Stir in the chia seeds and set to the side. 



Once your rice has cooked stir in the coconut oil and coconut cream. Set to the side to cool and thicken up even more. Once everything has cooled its time to layer up your jars. I would say two layers of the jam added just the right tartness to the thick and creamy rice pudding. Once layered up top with fresh fruit. 



This recipe is an entry into the Dairy Free Style Your Breakfast challenge with Vita Coco and Foodies100. See more great breakfast ideas at http://vitacoco.com/uk/









SHARE:

4 comments

  1. I really want to read more your posts..I discovered your online journal utilizing msn.when I have time I will be back to read a lot more,
    autoketing app, pop up sales sales pop master app

    ReplyDelete

  2. play food games
    basketball games
    soccer games free
    I really want to read more your posts..I discovered your online journal utilizing msn.when I have time I will be back to read a lot more,
    autoketing app, pop up sales sales pop master app

    ReplyDelete
  3. free online juegos games
    io jogos
    2 player games for girl
    Very great post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed surfing around your blog posts. In any case I’ll be subscribing on your rss feed and I hope you write once more soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep your PBR icy cold with these hilarious new koozies! Featuring many of your fave celebs in their moments of glory, these koozies are sure to make you giggle with each refreshing sip. If koozies aren't your thang, we've got 'em in coin purses too!
    online free games
    friv jogos gratis
    jogos 360 game

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig