theplantifulchef

Plant Based Recipes

Monday 15 January 2018

Sweet chilli crispy mushrooms

Ok so as the sweet and sour cauliflower was a massive hit on here i decided you guys must be a fan of some cheeky Chinese take away like myself. This was a dish one of my friends always orders on takeaway night. Now i don't feel you could do this with any kind of mushroom, its the shiitake mushroom that gives this dish a texture of meat so try and get hold of them. I realise this is the first recipe on here of 2018 what a way to kick things off with this beautiful tasty dish. Lets beat blue Monday with a fiery kick mid week fakeaway. 







What you will need;
Serves 2

One punnet of shiitake mushrooms (125g)
1tbs heaped of gluten free flour 
1-2tbs water 
1tbs heaped cornflour 
1/4 tsp onion powder 
1tbs mild oil i used grape seed 


For the sauce; 

3tbs sweet chilli sauce 
1tbs heaped tamarind or soy sauce
1/2 tsp tomato paste 
2-3tbs water 
1/2 tsp garlic powder 
2spring onions for serving (optional)


Method 

Clean the mushrooms, removing the stalks and keeping them. Try and cut the mushrooms into even strips for frying. Now place the mushrooms into a zip lock bag and mix up your gluten free flour and water you may need a little more for a thick batter i find different brands need different amounts. 


Once its mixed add in the onion powder and pour into the bag with the mushrooms. Coat the mushrooms in the mixture by shaking the bag. Next up add in your cornflour and shake the bag again till all the mushrooms are coated. Set aside and heat up your oil in a pan over medium heat. Use a small piece of mushroom as a tester you want to hear a sizzle when its dropped into a pan. When you know its hot enough drop all the mushrooms into the pan. 



Give them a few minutes and turn them over in the hot oil then turn the temperature down to medium/low. You want them to still cook but not burn thats the secret to getting them crispy. While they are cooking you want to turn them occasionally but not all the time, let them crisp. Around 10 minutes this should take. Take one out the pan and try it you should have a crunch off the flour. 



Lets make the sauce, place everything in a small bowl and whisk together. Now when your mushrooms are down take them out the pan and oat dry with some kitchen towel so they aren't greasy. Place sauce in same pan and let it thicken up for a few minutes until it goes nice and sticky. Then pop your mushrooms back in the pan and coat in the sauce. Serve over fluffy rice. 

I hope you enjoyed this recipe, if you do decide to make this be sure to pop on over to social media and tag me. Until next time, Helen xx 
SHARE:

7 comments

  1. Your articles are very useful.thank you for the wonderful sharing. They are useful pieces of advice. They give me effective tips.
    currency-converter-app-download, currency-converter-app

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to read more your posts. I can branch out with new knowledge.Your posts can help me more and more in the future. Once again thank you.
    best autoketing, Shopify free shipping bar app, shopify app free shipping bar

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that I'm into your pieces of writing. I wait for your posts every week. I learn many new interesting things from the articles. The information is essential for me. I want to thank you for sharing.
    autoketing
    sales pop master free
    sales pop master app

    ReplyDelete
  4. Howdy are using WordPress for your site platform? I’m new to the blog world but I’m trying to get started and create my own. Do you need any html coding expertise to make your own blog? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    autoketing
    Product discount master app
    Create Discount master

    ReplyDelete
  5. food games
    basketball games
    soccer games 2019
    Howdy are using WordPress for your site platform? I’m new to the blog world but I’m trying to get started and create my own. Do you need any html coding expertise to make your own blog? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi my friend! I want to say that this post is amazing, nice written and come with almost all vital infos. I would like to see extra posts like this .
    2player free
    friv Games play
    jogos io online

    ReplyDelete

  7. here is such a great amount in this article I would never have considered all alone.I decided to add your blog to my bookmarks so I can return to it at a later date.
    miniclip car games,
    a10 free,
    Jogos 2019

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig